Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Seriously Working It!

I work in a fairly conservative office, so being super creative style-wise is not always easy.  All those articles about wearing open toe sandals and short suits to work just do not cut it.  So, although on most days in the winter I opt for the easy getup of a cute sweater and a nice fitting pair of slacks, yesterday I spiced it up a little. 




What I am Wearing:
Calvin Klein Dress-$50 from TJ Maxx (Winter 2011)
Talbots Outlet Blazer- Purchased a few years ago. On sale for about $50, but maybe less
Hue Black Opaque Tights- Nordtsrom's Rack $6.97
Suede Me Too Booties-DSW $40 (Winter 2011)
Forever 21 Necklace-$12.80
Obviously I am new at this whole blogging and picture taking thing.  Thanks to D.W. for taking the pictures of me today :)

A great shift dress is an amazing addition to any work wardrobe and is definitely the kind of piece that you can take from day to night and most situations in between.  My favorite thing about this dress is the awesome pattern.

The neutral pattern makes it super easy to wear, very easy to match, and work appropriate. The dress is also a great thick jersey material which requires little ironing.  TJMaxx has a great selection of high quality dresses at super low prices (Calvin Klein for $50!!) Ladies also remember cut and fit when it comes to work wear.  Nothing too tight or too short, but don’t go to the opposite end of the spectrum either; too long or big looks sloppy. 

The necklace in the photos is also fantastic.  It's a little more expensive than I would normally spend for a Forever21 piece, but it is such a statement maker and will go with so many things.  Large round crystals set against gold and black rope will add interest to either a work outfit or casual t-shirt and jeans.

Black tights and wedge booties really finish off the look. I love hue opaque tights and I got a whole bunch in black, forest green, gray, and burgundy when I found them for only $6.97 at the Nordstrom Rack in Towson during the off season.  This brand is super durable and I swear by them.  I had a pretty messy fall last winter down the stairs at the Ottobar and although my knee was all cut-up, my tights did NOT rip! It was like an amazing magic trick. 

These black booties are one of my favorite pair of shoes (as you can tell by how worn they are) and were a little bit of a stretch for me style-wise. I was new to the whole bootie concept and the funky shaped heel really threw me. However, that heel and the platform is what makes them incredibly comfortable and easy to walk around in.  Plus some added height to my 5’1 frame is always nice. Remember: black booties paired with a pair of black opaque tights is the winter version of nude heels during the summer; one super long continuous leg line.

No comments:

Post a Comment